Friday, August 9, 2013

Feeling Blue

Today we took Ava to get her hard cast on. Unfortunately her regular doctor was out so we saw the physician's assistant, Katie. Ava entered the doctors office very unsure and nervous. She asked over and over, "Will I be put to sleep?" "Will I get an IV?" "I don't want another scar." She even tried to hide in any corner she could find. David and I kept reassuring her this was nothing like getting her hips fixed and none of the above will happen. Katie came in to talk to Ava, she seemed to calm some but was still on guard. She picked light blue for her cast and reluctantly sat on my lap. She was really nervous and scared it would hurt when they removed the temporary wrap. Thankfully Katie was very gentle and slowly took it off. Once off she examined the elbow and determined Ava had two fractures on her elbow but everything was aligned and her growth plate was fine. (Something both David and I were concerned about this for the last 24 hours.)  As she put Ava's cast on she kept her calm and Ava seemed to relax once she realized it was not going to hurt. Ava will have her cast on 4-6 weeks. Next week she has a hip check up and Dr. A will determined the length of time.

Ava will enter Kindergarten with her right arm in a cast.(She's right handed.) This whole thing is unbelievable to me  and I am incredibly sad for Princess P. She has worked so hard to regain her strength for kindergarten, to play soccer, and take dance, now she will have to wait on everything. Everyone always says "kids are resilient" (a phrase I have come to hate) but to bad parents aren't. It is heart breaking to see your child in pain and I can't help but ask "why this?" after all she has been through. Luckily, true to form, Ava is already bouncing back. Little Miss Independent already wants to put her sling on herself and is trying to write with her left hand. She even colored a picture almost as well as she does with her right. She seems to be adjusting fine but I think it is going to take Mommy a little longer. I am proud of Ava's strength and hope the next 6 weeks will pass quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment