Sunday, April 28, 2013

I See The Finish Line...

These were removed from Ava!
I've been a little behind on catching everyone up on Miss Ava's progress. The first few days after Ava's hardware removal were difficult for me, Ava didn't want to move and kept telling us that it hurt. For me it was like a flashback of the difficult time after her cast removal. I know it was only for a brief few days but to me it was like an eternity and I just wanted my happy girl back. Thankfully it passed quickly and Ava finally got her grove back but just in a slower pace.  On Friday April 12 Ava had her post procedure check up and bandage removal. As always the appointment started with an x ray. After reading the x-ray Dr. A came in to share the awesome news... her hips look perfect! Yeah!! Next came the part Ava dreaded the most...bandage removal. You would think after everything Ava's been through this would be easy but listening to her scream it was like they were cutting another cast off. In the end I had to remove them and Dr. A could only check out the incisions from a distance, all looks good. After all that Ava returned to her normal self and was excited to show off all she can do now. Dr. A showed us her before and after x-ray, wow what a difference! (I can't wait to get our copy so I can share them with everyone.) The body is amazing in how it heals itself (well with the help off an awesome surgeon.) Ava is on restricted activity until we return on May 10 while the holes from the pins heal. Let me tell you this is no small feat since Ava feels great!

The following week Ava returned to school. She was so excited, she had missed her friends. The difference in my sweet girl is like night and day. She is so happy and carefree, I cringe when I think about the pain she must of been in all those years. On the 22nd Ava had the last off her cavities filled. She screamed and kept saying she was scared. Oh how it broke my heart to see her like this, she was so sad and it took hours before she would smile at us and was back to herself. Bottom line is Ava is done! She has had enough of acting brave and being put through any procedure. I think she has hit her breaking point and anything from here on out she will put up a fight, (have to say I don't blame her.) During the last week Ava has grown in leaps and bounds. She is walking better, running better and riding her bike like a pro. She is so happy and it makes my heart soar when I hear her laugh and just be a happy five year old. Looking back I never realized how unhappy she was or how pale she looked. Her body is filling out, she has color in her face and over the last two months gained 5 lbs!! She is getting excited for kindergarten and is looking forward to going to dance and giving soccer a try.

I am counting the days until our next appointment. If all looks well Ava is free to be normal 5 year old!!! After a looooong 11 months she will be healed and can resume all normal activity. Ava will have to return for periodic check up x-rays to monitor the growth of her sockets and to make sure the balls stay in. Over the next few months she will continue with physical therapy to help get her range of motion back, strengthening her muscles and help her flexibility. Please always keep Ava in your prayers that her hips stay strong and perfect. I am counting the days util May 10th, this time I can see the finish line. xoxox







No comments:

Post a Comment