Monday, May 21, 2012

Check ups....

Today was a check up with the GI Dr. and the Endocrinologist, Ava gained 1 lb and grew 1 inch since February. Yeah!! This is a move in a positive direction but not as much of a gain as they had hoped. Dr. T (GI) stressed the importance of keeping her weight up while she is in her cast. Children tend to lose weight after undergoing major surgery so we really need to be aware of her intake. Ava has little fat on her body. The less fat on the child's body can cause the bones to rub against the cast and can cause bed sores. Augh!!! Something else to worry about. Hopefully we can keep Ava eating and prevent any lose of weight. Dr. B discussed Ava's hormone levels with us. Her levels are now closer to the range she is suppose to be in, so he does not feel it is necessary at this time to do a MRI on her pituitary gland. He wants to keep a watch and see where her growth goes from here. Both doctors agreed that we need to keep doing what we're doing and we will bring Ava back for a check up after her cast is off.

Thankfully all the tests that Ava has been given have come back negative. I'm taking this as a positive and so glad that what ever is causing Ava not to grow is not serious. From here on out our focus will be on getting Ava through her surgeries and helping her endure being in a Spica cast for months. 3 weeks from tomorrow Ava will undergo the first of her two surgeries. I have so many emotions about what my baby will go through. I pray time will pass quickly and there will be no complications. The offers and kindness offered to me and my family is overwhelming. We have a wonderful support system around us that I am so grateful for. I'm sure Ava will get through this like a champ but I still hate this for her. I hope I gain a tenth of the courage my daughter has shown me over the last few months and I know before we know it we'll be on the other side of this.


1 comment:

  1. Dave & Theresa--We are thinking of you and praying for you all every day--we know you will come through this and it will soon all be in the distant past. Stay strong--we so appreciate the updates on the blog--Love, Aunt Maureen

    ReplyDelete