Friday, September 14, 2012

Goodbye Cast!!!

95 days!!! That's how long my sweet girl had to be in her casts. Wow! We did it! There were definitely days that I though it would never end. It has been quite a journey, although Ava still has some healing to do the worst is over. Ava was so excited the days leading up to today. She would count the days left on her countdown calendar & scream in excitement that Friday was cast off day. Last night she even wanted to take pictures on her last night in a cast.This morning was a completely different, she woke up crying and really anxious about today. At least a hundred times she repeated "I'm not getting an IV, right?" "Dr. A promised no IV." She did not know what to expect and more scared then I though she would be. We reassured her over and over it would be fine but nothing was helping.

Jack by her side.
After arriving at the doctors office the anxiety continued. She was still asking the IV question (even Jack was getting annoyed) and was worried about the pain. While we waited in the exam room she started crying again...Oh Ava it's going to be alright. She wasn't buying it. She cried through the x ray and then the tech came in to remove the cast. Oh no! This was not going to be good! She decided her cast should stay on. (Sorry Ava, that's not an option.) The tech began prepping her and getting ready to saw off the cast as Ava screamed the most gut wrenching scream I have ever heard, the WHOLE time. It was hard to keep it together, I had tears in my eyes through it all and both David and I were trying to reassure her it would be okay. Nothing was working, Jack had to leave the room (but came back when Ava asked for him.) It felt like an hour but in no time the cast was removed and there were Ava's beautiful legs! WOW!!! She looks so big! Where did those long legs come from?? My girl grew so much! There is no more cast!! Best day ever!!!

Look at those legs!
Ava was still very anxious and was not calming down even when Dr A came in for the exam. He is happy with how her incisions are healing and happy there were no sores on Ava's legs. He showed us the x ray and Ava's hips are perfect!!! He said to let Ava take things at her own pace and to start physical therapy 2-3 times per week for 3-6 weeks depending how quickly Ava bounces back. If there were any problems give him a call immediately, come back for a check up in 3 weeks and we were free to go. Yeah! Ava was not ready, she cried and kept telling us she was scared it will hurt when I move her. Oh Ava! I finally coaxed her to put on her underwear and pants and carefully put her in the stroller, we were on our way. Ava was crying off and on when we put her in the car. I'm not sure how much pain there really was, most of the crying was from the anticipation of it.

True to our word, the first place we took Ava was the beach. It was a short visit but we saw the beach and ocean and breathed in the salt air! Ava was free!!!!! We had a quick lunch and some ice cream (well at least we did, Ava wanted no part) and Jack ran down to the ocean and back. Ava had some cotton candy (her favorite) and we were on our way. She was still crying off and on and when we got home she declared "I'm never leaving the house again!" (She's a funny one.) We got Ava settled on her favorite mattress and within a half an hour I had a new kid. Ava was wiggling around, starting to bend her knees and moving her legs together. Go Ava!! I give her a few days and I'm sure she'll be all over the place but one thing I know for sure it will be on her terms. My kid is amazing!!
Princess P!

I feel very blessed today. Ava made it through two major hip surgeries, two Spica cast and one Petrie cast in her true Ava style... with lots of sass! She is a strong brave girl and I could not be more proud of her. Tears fill my eyes as I watch her mover herself around and explore what she is capable of doing. I have no doubt Ava will be up and about in no time, there is no stopping her. I pray Ava's pain will subside quickly and her hips stay in place. It has been quite a road but as a family we made it. I love my girl to pieces!! My butterfly is free at last!! Ava will be dancing in no time! xoxoox





No comments:

Post a Comment