Wednesday, July 11, 2012

How much longer???

One week until Ava's right hip surgery...it's only been 4 weeks!! It feels like months!! I can not wait for the 18th to come. We will then be half way through with this Spica cast but of course the dread and anxiety is setting in for the surgery itself. Ava is doing amazing well. She's in great spirits and has really learned to go with the flow. We have to keep a constant eye on her. She now can pull her body across the floor with her arms and I caught her trying to stand up the other day. She pushed herself off her chair, put her feet on the floor and was holding herself up on the sides. Nothing stops this kid!! Obviously she's feeling better. We had a few nights that she slept well but it was short lived. Now she complains at night of itchy legs. I feel horrible for her, other then giving her some Benedryl there is nothing else we can do.

I am so done with this whole process. I want my life back! I'm sick of being in my house 90% of the time and we do go out Ava complains she just wants to go home. I'm tired of being at her beckon call and the constant attention and neediness. I love my children but there's something to be said for independent play. I'm tired of take out food but to tired to cook at night. I'm cranky, moody and my back and arms hurt from the constant lifting and moving. The cast is not all that heavy but the awkwardness makes it more difficult. I do get breaks from time to time but they're not very long. Quite frankly I'm to tired to truly enjoy it. I drink way to much coffee and just want to feel healthy again. In grand scheme of things I guess I should feel lucky I'm not the one in the cast. My heart breaks for Ava that she has to endure this. With the surgery one week away my eyes start to well up just thinking about her having to endure another long, painful surgery. She has such a positive attitude about her next cast and returning to the hospital. I'm sure once the day comes that may be a different story but for now I'll take it. Ava is such a strong brave girl and I am so proud of her.

Bottom line is having a child in a Spica cast sucks!! I know it could be worse and I try to remember it will come to an end. When people ask how things are going I always reply "We are doing great!" and I'm sure I will continue to reply that for the duration of this process. I try not to complain because it is Ava who has to endure the worst of it. This whole process is an emotional roller coaster for everyone and it is one ride I look forward to getting off. We are fortunate to have so many wonderful people in our lives. I am so Thankful for all the visitors, activities brought to my kids, the text messages checking on us, all the meals that have been made for us and all the prayers. 7 weeks!!! Then we will be on the other side. Once Ava is up and walking this Mommy is going on vacation!! Boy do I look forward to it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment