Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Choices We Make

Ava has been in a Spica cast for 6 weeks and 3 days now. After I came to gripes with having to put my baby through not 1 but 2 surgeries, I made a promise to myself that no matter how difficult things got I would do what it takes to keep everything in a positive light. This is much harder then it sounds but I like to think I'm keeping my promise. Believe me I have had moments where I have completely lost it but I try to regroup quickly and move on. There have been moments when it's all I can do from bursting into tears and I keep a smile on my face. There are moments when I just want to walk out the door and not come back but I just take a deep breath and keep going. It's hard! Harder then I could ever imagined. But the reality is Ava is the one in the cast not me. Her frustration must be overwhelming. That's why no matter how indecisive she is,  no matter how much she cries, screams, yells or speaks freshly, I stay calm (well almost always) and try to make it better for her. All Ava's independence has been taking away from her; so if she cries because she wanted the pretzel goldfish instead of the regular I give in, get it and try to remember 6 weeks ago she would have gotten it herself. Ava and I are very much a like and I'm not ashamed to admit I've thrown a tantrum or two in my life. I also know children learn from what they see, if I want Ava to have a good attitude then I have to have one too.

Ava has handled herself impressively well through out this whole ordeal, there are times I actually have to take her lead and not freak out. To save all of our sanity I try to get us all out of the house at least once a day; sometimes for a walk, sometimes to a store. When you have a child in a Spica cast you might as well be pushing a circus animal around. People stare, gawk, point and worse of all, give the look of pity. Ava is oblivious to this but it irritates me. I'd rather someone ask about it then look at us like we have the plaque. Then on the other hand, there are the people who are just plain rude and inconsiderate. This bringing me to my point... the choices we make. Yesterday Ava and I went to Walmart to pick up a few things. The main isle near the registers had large displays containing school supplies, making it difficult to maneuver around and not a ton of space. Here I am pushing Ava in the stroller with a pizza balanced on top, my bag over my left shoulder and a basket on my right arm filled with things we were purchasing. Needless to say I had my hands full. (This is a normal scenario for me, I always think I can do it all.) Anyway I see a seemingly healthy woman approaching with her cart, so I start to back Ava out of the way into another isle. As she passed us she says "I can't get by because your daughter is sitting so spread eagle!". . . In a slightly rude tone.What!! I was so shocked all that came out of my mouth was "I'm sorry, she doesn't exactly have a choice!"  As I checked out a bazillion things went through my head of what I should of said or how I could of handled it. How can someone be so rude! If the roll was reversed I would of been the one who stepped to the side or even helped the person juggling so much. In fact in the past I have.  After I vented on Facebook, I realized I handled it perfectly fine. What example would have been setting for Ava if I flipped out. Don't get me wrong, I was annoyed!! But instead of dwelling on it I decided to list all the good things we're thankful for instead of holding on to the negative...

~ All our friends and family that have made meals or brought us food.
~ Our family support.
~ All the gifts people (near and far) have given or sent both Ava and Jack to keep them busy.
~ All the people who have come to visit to help pass our long days.
~ My friends who have listened to me vent and cry since the beginning.
~ All the generous donation people have made to help us raise hip awareness.
~ Most of all, all the people (who know Ava or not) praying for Ava's full recovery and healthy hips.

Now I want to share a good story to restore every one's faith in others. On Monday our doorbell rang, it was the mailman delivering a gift to Ava. As we opened the box we had no idea who it was from. Inside was a cute dance bag, two beautiful dance costumes including the accessories, a cowgirl hat and a crown. Included in the box was a letter stating she was an owner of a dance school that was sent a prayer request (from someone in our church) for Ava along with the link to our blog. After reading our blog she was touched by Ava's story and strength and wanted to reach out to Ava and let us know she had our support and prayers. The letter brought me to tears and made me realize what wonderful people are out there. I can not thank her enough! So remember that there are good, kind hearted people in the world. For every rude one you may encounter, there are ten others that are kind.. This is one of many stories I could tell that have touched me over the last several months. My Ava is so blessed! I choose to be positive no matter what comes our way, I hope you'll do the same. It makes the road so much easier.




This hat was made for her!


No comments:

Post a Comment