Wednesday, July 25, 2012

We're getting there. . .

It has been one week since Ava's right hip surgery. . . she is slowly but surely coming around. I'm not going to lie, it has been a rough week. Ava is not generally a complainer and handles pain amazingly well  but now she often says "My hip hurts" or "My leg hurts." I'm not surprised by this, not only did she have surgery but her left hip muscles were manipulated and changed positions as well. She has been running a low grade fever off and on all week. This is normal but doesn't help with her comfort level. Ava is back on the "Mommy only" kick . If I leave the room she is screaming for me and only wants me to do things for her. "Mama! I just want you!!" I love you Ava but  I need a break sometimes too. She is not sleeping well at night. She is uncomfortable and cries out "I can't sleep!" How do you comfort a child when there's not much you can really do for her ?! I can handle most anything thrown my way but lack of sleep is killing me. Last night she even said "You are being so mean to me!!" Okay maybe I raised my voice a little because it was 3:30 in the morning and I was exhausted but mean! I don't think so! This to shall pass . . . right ???

Slightly bigger Spica chair.
We are slowly adjusting to the shape of this cast. We have using the potty down pat, although it's not easy. Her Uncle Butch added five inches to her Spica chair so she is able to use it again. Best thing ever!! But unfortunately the angle of the cast makes it more difficult to stay upright and some times she slides off the seat a bit. I tie her in with a scarf (this took lots of convincing) to make it more secure. We're trying to get back in our groove but the moodiness (from all of us) makes it tough. When Ava doesn't feel well she can't make a decision about where she wants to sit, what activity she wants to do or what she wants to eat. Then she gets mad at me because I can't read her mind! (Hmmmm ... I wonder where she gets that personality trait from?!?!) I know once the pain subsides we'll all be much happier. Please hurry up!!

On Friday, August 3 we go for Ava's post op x ray. This is the day that can not come fast enough. This is our tell all moment. . . is the hip still in place ??? Until then I worry about everything. If the  x ray looks good we all breath a sigh of relief and just let Ava heal. I started prepping Ava for her next cast. She was not thrilled with this new piece of information but perked up once she found out her chest, belly and hips would be free. She even gave a smile once I told her she can stand in this cast. She already picked her next color. . . . Green!! (Mommy's favorite color.) My forever optimist. . . "Mommy I'm going to have green legs and maybe I'll even be able to walk like a penguin!" Oh my strong little one, I hope so! I so want this for her so she can feel like she has some control back. Each day Ava will get stronger and stronger. She is so brave and really takes each step in stride. Oh Princess P you'll have healthy hips soon!!

Still my fashionista!



No comments:

Post a Comment