Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Right Hip

Reading while waiting for surgery.
Surprisingly I got an okay nights sleep last night. We didn't even need an alarm this morning because Ava had me up at 5am! I can't believe we're on to the second surgery. I can't believe five weeks have passed already. Looking back I didn't think we would make it 5 days much less five weeks! So here we are...Ava was in great spirits this morning. She had her moments of whining and baby talk but over all she was cooperative. Of course I was a bundle of nerves but this time I wasn't nearly as anxiety ridden as last time. We knew what to expect and I really tried to be in good spirits for her. The waiting is always the worst! I left my baby in the OR at 9:15am and Dr. A came to speak with us at 2:30pm. Five hours and fifteen minutes!! It's a lifetime when your child is under anesthesia. The surgery went as expected and the left hip looks good, although there is some stiffness in it. We were in recovery for 2 1/2 hours and at 5:00pm we were finally able to get settled in our room. Ava now has her purple cast and the casting position is slightly different. Honestly it's making me a little nervous, she's definitely going to sit differently in everything.

Snuggling with monkey in recovery.
We are half way there....It feels great to be on the other side of both surgeries. Now we have to get through the first couple of days of recovery. Ava did really great immediately after surgery. She was alert, answered questions and was very aware of her surroundings. Once again there was a difference of opinion on her hemoglobin  and blood levels. The anesthesiologist felt her numbers were slightly low and recommended a blood transfusion but Dr. A didn't feel it was necessary. He wants to wait until morning and see how she is then. It's back to the waiting game. Ava woke asking for some water, unfortunately after drinking it she threw up. Luckily David and I had quick reflexes and prevented to much of it getting on her cast, sadly blanky got caught in the cross fire. A few hours later she once again got sick. I feel horrible for her! She can barely move and now she's getting sick on top of it. I remained pretty calm all day but now I am making up for it. I'm a nervous wreck about everything. The nurse must think I'm a nervous Nelly but our last stay in the hospital was not great and I'm not letting anything slip by. Ava was given some anti nausea medicine and hopefully she'll be feeling better soon.

My poor baby is laying in bed being so brave even though it is written all over her face that she's miserable. She's hardly complaining and doing everything that is asked of her. I have a feeling we have a long night ahead of us. I hope Ava feels better quickly and really be on to recovery. We have only 4 weeks to endure the purple cast then it's on to a smaller slightly more movable cast. I can not wait to be on the other end where it's time to get the cast off. I have such a strong little girl! So proud of her!! Please keep the prayers coming for a quick recovery. On our way to a healthy hips! xoxoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment