Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 3

 Ava was in good spirits Thursday morning. She was ready to go home but unfortunately her body was not. The resident Pediatrician came in the morning to go over Ava's blood work. Her hemoglobin's were low and she is slightly anemic, along with the low grade fever she's had and the low oxygen level they feel she should be monitored a bit longer. Apparently all these things are normal after a surgery like this but they want to take caution. They may even take her for a chest x ray to be sure. Over the morning I was able to persuade Ava to take bites here and there and she's loving that she can blow bubbles. In the mix of this I made her follow up visit with Orthopedist for Friday, June 29. He will take an x ray to make sure everything is healing properly and believe it or not this will also be her second pre op visit. We haven't even left the hospital and her second surgery is booked...Wednesday July 18!

Jack reading to Ava.
In the afternoon it was determined that Ava did not need an x ray and her levels were okay and were reading the same as in surgery. As she eats and gains strength they will return to normal. Yeah!! Ava's mood was better and by afternoon she was really perky. She has become an expert bubble blower and enjoyed her visit with her big brother Jack. We were able to take Ava down to the playroom twice today and the second time she even played with a kitchen set. The best news of all is Daddy held Ava on the potty and she went. Awesome!! No bedpans or diapers for us, Ava's a big girl and showing everyone nothing will hold her down. Finally at dinner time Ava ate dinner. She had a little more then a half of slice of pizza and 1/4 of Italian Ice. Finally my girl is coming back to me. So I thought....
Playing : )

Around 7pm Ava oxygen level was low again and her breathing a little fast. Auuughhh how frustrating! They decided to retest the hemoglobin and to do the chest x ray after all. They put the oxygen tube back on which really upset Ava and her mood changed instantly. The tech came in to draw blood and it broke my heart as my baby screamed "Be gentle!! Be gentle putting that needle in!!" This poor child has been poked and prodded so much in the last few days. The x ray tech came right to us so Ava didn't have to move. With her blankey over her face the x ray was done in no time. Now the waiting begins... We are back on the emotional roller coaster just as I thought we were in the clear. Thankfully the x ray was clear but over night Ava received a blood transfusion. Her levels were just to low and they think the anemia was causing her heart to beat to fast.
Daddy and Ava
Both Ava and I got some sleep last night and as I stare at her this morning she looks so peaceful. It was a very emotional and nerve wracking night. I'm so happy my baby is doing better and we're both looking forward to going home this afternoon. Ava is such a brave little one and has taught me strength  I never knew I had. I can't believe in 5 weeks we'll be back here to do this all again for the right hip. At least that time we'll be half way through our journey. Looking forward to my tiny dancer to be back to herself! Keep praying. xoxoxox

1 comment: