Thursday, June 14, 2012

First 48 Hours

Exhausted! Pretty much the only word that can describe me right now. We officially survived the first 48 hours with Ava's Spica cast, not without some tears from both Ava and I but we did it. Ava is such an amazing and brave little girl. She has been vocal with her wants and needs and is very clear if she has had enough. She made it 10 hours the first night without pain medication, the pain tolerance this child has. Her main complaint the first night was she wanted me to hold her and she misses Jack. Needless to say I got little sleep, between her waking up and the nurses and doctors coming in to check on her. We were all a little groggy in the morning. Ava was happy when Jack called to talk to her before school and I love that she has the support of her big brother. The rest of the day was pretty smooth. She slept a lot and we finally got her to drink apple juice and go pee for the first time. The best part of my day was finally picking my Princess P up!! She was so glad I could finally hold her, it lasted about five minutes then she conked right back out.
Holding Ava for the 1st time.
I have to admit the cast scares me. I'm so scared I'll hurt her or drop her. It's awkward to move but I'm sure over time it will get easier. Later in the afternoon I finally got brave enough to pick Ava up myself. She asked to sit on my lap instead of laying down. It was a little bit of a task but we managed and I know having me closer made all the difference to her.

 Last night was a bit crazy and overwhelming to me and Ava. Her breathing was heavier and faster then normal and she had a low grade temperature. Lucky for us we got the most amazing night nurse that was on top of it. Not that the nurses haven't done their job but this one was super attentive and really set mine and Ava's minds at ease. First she gave Ava Tylenol for her fever and then put her on oxygen to help her levels. Finally Ava was resting comfortably but I was so worried for her. When the nurses aide came in to take all Ava's vitals she discovered her bed was soaked and so was her special blankey. After inspection, the nurse realized her IV cap and part of the tube was leaking.  This all had to be changed, Ava was not happy. All she kept saying was don't touch my IV, no more needles. There was nothing I could do for her but try to calm her the best I could. It's a horrible feeling seeing your child in such distress. After some coaxing we finally convinced her that it would not hurt her and be over quickly. After the IV fix, her linens were changed and Ava was once again resting peacefully. The nurse even washed and dried her blankey for her. She also found bubbles for Ava to blow to help expand her lungs. Ava was coming around and her oxygen level was coming up. Finally we were settled for the night and fell asleep. At 2am Ava woke me up with her screaming and saying "I want to go!" At first I thought she meant home but then quickly realized she meant potty. Ava is a camel, she can hold it like no one I know. I knew this would be the toughest part for her... having to go in a diaper. I calmed her the best I could and convinced her to relax and go. Well she must of been holding it for hours because she soaked the whole bed! Once again she had her linens changed and we both got a few hours sleep.

Blowing bubbles!!
So here we are at day 3. Ava is doing well this morning. She even said she is hungry. I managed to get a little orange juice, cheerios and applesauce in her. She also received her first dose of Tylenol with codeine. We're getting closer to going home.Yeah!! We're both ready and in need of a good nights sleep. Dr. A came to visit us this morning and talk about Ava's progress and next surgery. He said things look good and after reviewing the x ray from the surgery he is moving it up to 4 weeks!!! Yahoo! Fingers crossed the surgery will be the second week of July and the second cast will be on 4 to 6 weeks. This is fantastic news!! We maybe done with this by they end of summer! I try to take each day as a new day and keep in mind there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Ava is handling everything with such bravery and I could not be more proud. Please keep praying! If things keep going as positive as they have so far before we know it tiny dancer will be back on her feet. xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment