Sunday, April 15, 2012

Orthopedist finally!

I had 3 weeks to do my research on Hip Dysplasia. Like anything else in life, no matter what it is, until you have it, a family member has it or friend has it you usually don't know much about it. I had heard of Hip Dysplasia but really didn't know anyone who had it. I immediately began googling and reading anything I could find. Most cases were found with in the first year of birth. Babies are usually born with it. When caught early it can be treated with a brace or a spica cast but usually no surgery. When found after 2, surgery is usually the only option. What!!! Surgery!! My little girl may need surgery! How did this happen??? I have to admit I refused to believe Ava was born like this. It had to have happened from a fall, maybe at 1 or 2. David on the other hand was more realistic, he kept saying I know she was born like this. She has never walked right. I had to stop with the Internet, I was driving myself nuts. I couldn't wait until our appointment. I needed answers.

After getting the x ray results we had explained to Ava that she has boo-boo hips and this is why we think her knees and legs hurt sometimes. A few times when talking about something she has commented "After I get my hips fixed...." She hangs on every word we say now. A few days before the appointment I began to prepare Ava for yet another doctor she would meet. Me..."Ava, we're going to meet a new doctor who is going to fix your boo-boo hips.Won't it be great if your knees or legs didn't hurt?" Her response "Why? So I don't walk like your Mom anymore." That's my little fighter always bringing the humor to it.

March 23,2012....Finally the day came to meet the Pediatric Orthopedist. Our visit began the usual way  and with the usual questions...we told Ava's story beginning with the dental problems. Dr. A was very nice and Ava was being cooperative through out her exam. The next step was to take 2 more x rays to get a better look at what was going on. Once again Ava got through her x rays like a pro. Back to the exam room. Dr. A reviewed the x rays and shared the results with us...Ava has bi lateral full hip dislocation that she was born with. What ? Did I hear that right??? How did she make it almost 4 1/2 years and not one doctor detected this! I'm going to be sick! Then there was more question...She has a sibling? Yes, Jack 7. Does he have any problems like this? No. Was Ava full term? Yes. Any complications or illness during pregnancy? No. Natural? No. C-section. Breech at anytime? No. Any known family members with hip problems? Not that we know of. (20 percent of children that have hip dysplasia have blood relative that has it.) Dr. A then continued on...Hip dysplasia is a genetic disease. Because she does not have any of the normal factors we will need to consider genetic testing in the future to make sure there is no other underlying problems. We should have Jack looked at, as well. That's pretty much all I retained from that part of the conversation, I was having a hard part getting past full dislocation and born with. David and I kept looking at each other in disbelief. I was dying inside, I knew what this meant. I prepared myself for the worst thinking it can only be better, right? I was so wrong...

Then Dr. A delivered the news I did not want to hear...surgery on both hips. He will perform the surgery with a second doctor. In basic terms they will shave the ball to refit it into the socket. They have been growing separately for 4 1/2 years, now they need to fit them back together. If not caught at birth the optimal age to do this surgery with best results is between 2and 3 years old. Ava's bones are at optimal age. Okay that's a positive...Having to do both hips is also a good thing (even though going through it is not so great) because having only one leg done would make one leg shorter then another. That's a whole another hosts of problem. I'm trying to be thank full for two surgeries, her legs will be even. Then Dr. A proceeded to tell us how things will go...They will perform the first surgery and Ava will be put in a Spica cast, she will heel for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks they will remove the cast and perform the second surgery. She will be put in a Spica cast for 2 to 3 months....The cast will be from chest to ankles. Ava will be completely immobile. OMG!!!

At this point I am doing all I can to hold it together. I'm trying so hard to stay strong  for Ava but I could not control the tears rolling down my face. Ava feeling the change in the room began to pack up her belongings she brought and said "I want to go home now." You and me both kid...As the doctor keeps talking all I hear is "WaaWaaaWawWwawAAAWaaaaWaWa.." I barely remember a thing after that.He offered to give us a copy of the x rays if would like to get a second opinion . He's giving us the weekend to digest everything and to do our research. (I've done the research.) The nurse will contact us next week to set things up. okay. David and I drove separately that day because he had to go right to work. I was barely holding it together and as I pulled away the tears came harder and faster. I was a mess. I could not talk to anyone.My heart was broken for my Princess P. It took 3 days before I can talk about it with out going hysterical. Even now I tear up when I talk or even think about it. Our family, our Ava is going to endure a very difficult 5 months. I wish I could change this for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment